Sunday, December 21, 2008

The search for ritalin

Friday was a really stressful day. The roads were a mess because of snow and ice. And, N had his annual check-up which I was not going to cancel. My plan was to beg to put him on meds and I didn't want to wait any longer. So, we took the bus. The boys drove me crazy. The bus is not a special thing for them since they ride it often. And, it was packed because bus service was cut in half due to the snow. And the local University (where I work and where the doctor is) stubbornly refuses to close. So, there were lots of people trying to get to work. The doctor visit was fine and she agreed with me that N is a perfect candidate for meds. However, the prescription was not easy to fill. We walked to two pharmacies, neither of which had it. I wanted to cry. Here I was, with a potential miracle cure in my hands, and I couldn't actually use it. It was so depressing. And the kids were absolutely crazy by this point. It was cold and we had to wait for the bus. They were yelling and whining. When we got on the bus, they wrestled. It was torture. When we finally got home, I turned on the DVD player. The roads had cleared by then, but the nanny couldn't make it. The local teenager, R, was available, so I hired her to watch the kids watch a movie so I could get to a pharmacy. I called ahead to make sure they had it. Of course, when I got there, they didn't have it. AAAARGH. However, we soon realized that I called a different pharmacy. So, I went there, shelled out approximately $100 and took the (potential) miracle cure home.
The first day, he had two exhausting temper tantrums, threw things, hit, kicked, etc... Not sure that its kicking in. R (the local teenager), who we love and is wonderful with N, told us that she is on a similar med and that it took about a week for it to make a difference for her. Now, we have a better understanding of why she is so good with him. Thank heaven for small miracles. I'll post an update in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment