Thursday, December 11, 2008

The other kid

Poor J. He suffers so. My sympathy for him is low at the moment. Can you tell? He sees his little brother, N, get away with a lot of bad behaviour. J is a smart kid. He figures he'll get away with bad behaviour too. J has been performing karate moves on his little brother (and exhibiting other aggressive behaviours toward him), calling us names, using potty talk, etc... . Other than the aggression, N gets away with these things because ignoring the name calling and potty talk is the best way to get it to stop. When N gets no attention for it, he stops. Not so with J. J gets no attention for it, and he ramps it up. This is a conundrum. It's hard to discipline two kids in two completely different manners when they are in the same family. No amount of telling J that he is older and we expect better behaviour from him is helping. In fact, I think it is making it worse. I don't want to get into a cycle of punishment. Threatening to take him out of karate will back fire; I can tell that it will only infuriate him more that his little brother gets special treatment. I want J to change his attitude. But, I also realize that I need to change my attitude first. It is really hard. What I think we need is special time for the two of us, which is in short supply. So, I have decided to pick him up from school a little early this Friday so we can have a date. I will try to lavish attention on him and really enjoy his company. We love to go to the bookstore and just cuddle and read. And, I will try my hardest to not even bring up the topic of N or how hard it is to be his brother. I promise to report how this experiment goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment